Fast Facts on Homelessness
BEDSPACE AT VRM
MEN'S -- Shelter: 50 • Life-Change Academy: 32 • Transitional: 21 • Safe Room @ Shelter: 2
WOMEN'S -- Shelter: 40 • Life Change Academy: 15 • Transitional: 9
- Approximately 630 people are homeless in Tulare County.
- The number one reason for homelessness in Tulare County is unemployment.
- In Tulare County, 12% of the homeless population is under the age of 17, 7% are between the ages of 18 and 24, and 81% are over the age of 24.
- 26% of the homeless population in Tulare County are victims of domestic abuse.
- Substance abuse is a problem for 27% of those experiencing homelessness in Tulare County.
- Approximately 118,000 people are homeless in California.
- California accounts for 22% of the nation’s homeless population.
- At 66%, California has the highest percentage of any state in their population of unsheltered homeless, with 78,000 of their 118,000 homeless population living without any type of shelter.
- The number of people who are homeless in the United States is approximately 550,000.
- About 35% of the homeless population in America are people in families and the other 65% are individuals.
- Approximately 7% of the homeless population in American, about 40,000 individuals, are veterans.
- Nationally, about 22% of people experiencing homelessness are under the age of 18, with 9% between the ages of 18-24, and 69% over the age of 24.
- While only 6% of the general population suffers from mental illness, 20% of the homeless population suffers from undiagnosed and untreated mental illness.